We are writing a book.
It’s called The Escape Manifesto. We are on deadline for October 15th.
We have an engaged group of 200 volunteers helping us with their perspectives and advice in the comments on these posts.
Our last book post was Discussion #8: Please comment on our chapter structure. Thank you for some great comments.
This week we’d like to ask you what you think of the ideas for Chapter 2…
EDUCATION, CAREER, CORPORATE – it’s a familiar & well-trodden path.
We want Chapter 2 to be an exploration of the traditional path that so many of us are on. Why is it so unfulfilling for so many people?
Below are my rough notes for a chapter structure. Each bullet point is a ‘manifesto point’ to be expanded on.
Please share your overall thoughts on the flow and content as well as specific examples for any of the points.
Describe the conventional career path that most of us are on. Be fair but critical. Represent the escape mentality. Use lots of case studies. Highlight the common themes. Explain how this world works.
Hold off the decisions to escape (leave that for moments of truth) but explore all the positives and negatives of the conformist path. Why do so many people go down this path? Why does it not work for masses of them?
Section 1. Why do so many of us tread this path?
- We’ve been taught to be cogs
- The trap of the high achievers
- ACCIDENTALS - COMPARING YOURSELF TO THE PURPOSEFULS
- Don’t be an accidental
- Active choices vs semi-automatic choices
- Too many one-dimensional definitions of success
Section 2. The Emperor’s new clothes and reality of corporate world.
- Reality of big corporates
- The emperor’s clothes
- HYPE VS REALITY
- Manic busyness
- The conventional path makes so many people unhappy
Section 3. Judgement: the travelator in the dock (good & bad)
- IT CAN BE FUN, BUT…
- LACK OF IMPACT
- WORK-LIFE BALANCE
- NO FREEDOM
- MORALLY FRAGILE
- Our bodies aren’t designed for this punishment
- Hard to be yourself
Section 4. Why do so many people want to flee? PUSH / PULL
- Why so unfulfilling?
- Aspirations are changing, institutions not keeping up
- Institutions and leaders are failing us
- DESIRE FOR CONTROL
- SACRIFICES NOT WORTH IT
- LACK OF ROLE MODELS
- Most jobs are spiritually empty
- MEANINGLESS MONEY
- Proper value isn’t just profit
What are you going to do about it?
- We are all too risk averse
- “I’LL DO THIS FOR A FEW YEARS”
- EASY TO GET STUCK
- That’s just the way things are is a rubbish excuse
Please share – the more the merrier.
Do you have any case studies, books, quotes, or personal experiences are relevant to this structure? Either comment below or drop us an email to email@example.com.
All comments and ideas gratefully received.
Have a great weekend and thank you in advance!
Rob & the rest of the Escape Team.