At the beginning of 2011 we started a campaign called Start Something You Love. We kicked it off on 19th January with our big Esc winter party in front of 600 people at Guanabara bar in central London.
We are now following it up with 365 bits of advice from real people who are doing interesting and inspirational things with their lives. And we asked them all the same question:
ESC’S QUESTION: “HOW CAN I START SOMETHING I LOVE?”
NICK & RICH’S ANSWER:
(1) Test your idea; resist being secretive (see answer to Q4, “How did you plan for it?”)
(2) Don’t go it alone. It’s far more fun to share the experience with someone else.
(3) Stop talking; start doing. You don’t have to launch the perfect site! Get a product to market as quickly as possible. Develop what’s critical and put what’s “nice to have” to one side – this stuff can come later.
(4) Try to fund it yourself; if you don’t you’re no longer your own boss. (p.s. the quicker you get a product to market, the quicker you’ll generate an income from it and the more basic it is, the quicker and cheaper it will be to develop.)
McKinsey consultants on launching MoveMeOn.com
NOW DO THREE THINGS:
- Watch this video: Start Something You Love: Escape the City…1 year on
- Comment below to tell us what you are going to start this year
- Join the revolution at www.escapethecity.org/register and subscribe to these posts (top-right of this page)