Stepping out in to the unknown brings with it excitement but at the same time a certain amount of apprehension. Despite being confident in our idea the truth is we have no idea what is in store for us over the next 6 – 12 months, but what is for sure is 2010 is going to be a real adventure.
If anyone is thinking of doing something similar here are a few reasons why you should as this is what I’m looking forward to most…
11 reasons I’m thrilled to have ‘Esc-ed’
1. Having the freedom to work where you want and when you want
2. No more ‘Sunday blues’. No more ironing that shirt on a Sunday night and having the Monday morning low after the a great weekend.
3. Being passionate: Really really caring about what you do everyday
4. Being in control: Knowing that you’ll take out as much as you put in
5. Getting satisfaction from building something from scratch and building a community to help people answer one of the toughest questions there is:
“How do I find an occupation that makes me really happy and fulfilled, one that really interests me, and one that makes me enough money at the same time?”
6. Believing in what you do everyday
7. Having a sense of purpose. Waking up in the morning and literally wanting to run to work!
8. Not having to wear a suit, iron a shirt or wear a tie!
9. Having the freedom to work anywhere. The beauty with the internet is that we can work where ever we want, be it Esc HQ or half way up a mountain (Just a shame I no longer have any money to get me to the mountain!)
10. Being inspired every day. Getting to meet the people who have actually escaped the city to do something different. Being inspired by their stories and learning about the hundreds of different routes people take to escape the city!
11. Learning new skills. Going it alone means you ultimately have to do everything from marketing to web design.
The last couple of months haven’t been easy. It’s been a real rollercoaster getting out but now I’m out I’m having the time of my life and can’t wait to properly launch in Guanabara on Wed 27th Jan. http://escapethecity.org/launch.html