ESC HOME
Blog
MENU
Community HQ Escape Stories International Meetups The Escape Manifesto Latest School HQ Esc Opportunities Home About us Contact us Success stories The Escape Blog

Escape Diary #5: The quest for ‘true happiness’

When Esc started out Rob and I spent many an evening figuring out how we were going to help others follow their dreams. At one of these beer-fuelled philosophising sessions we joked that we were trying to solve the riddle of happiness!

On reflection – there is some truth in this:

“The true way to render ourselves happy is to love our work and find in it our pleasure.”
Francoise de Motteville

The fact is that we spend on average 70% of our time at work. As the maths would suggest, getting the ‘work bit’ right is fundamental in the ongoing quest for true happiness. I can’t lie though, for the past 4 years I’ve had an awesome time out of work, but sadly this has only accounted for 30% of my life. My theory is that if I can get the 70% ‘work bit’ right whilst maintaining the other 30% then I reckon that that will make me an even happier camper.

If I can find a job / career / business that allows me to have as much fun / fulfillment / enjoyment at ‘work’ as I do in my free time then I reckon I’ve found the secret of happiness.

And I also reckon that anyone can do it… which is why we’ve set up Esc!

The-Quest